I like pretty things just as much as the next guy, and often wonder how my penchant for all things pretty and luxurious affects the already struggling planet. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels a certain amount of guilt every time I make a frivolous purchase. Even though I have my own set of shopping rules (no fur, buy local whenever possible, support small business, local artisans and struggling communities) I still feel there is more I can do as a consumer. In the process of putting this Earth Day post together I found some new-to-me brands and small shops (Etsy is a treasure trove of up-cycled and re-purposed goodness) that specialize in producing lovely home-goods, beauty products and clothing made from ethical, sustainable, recycled and found materials. These designers take special care to put out ethical, environmentally conscious products that are not just good for the planet and all the living things on it, but also beautifully designed and expertly crafted. It makes the decision of supporting those who are making a difference that much easier. I would love to hear the ways that you guys stay ethically and environmentally conscious while still keeping your closets well stocked and up to date and your homes accessorized, please share!
1. Pear & Brandy soy candle from Leifshop – 100% renewable soy candle, the hand-crafted porcelain dish is meant to be repurposed after all the wax has melted away so nothing is wasted.
2. Screetch Owl Design paper goods – the whimsical, nature-inspired designs are all printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper or tree free 100% cotton paper recovered from scraps.
3. La Clinica design furniture – each piece is made from solid wood (part of it comes from reused resources) and painted with water-based colors. They are designed to be completely dismountable, lowering the costs of shipping and storage. The furniture has a much lower CO2 footprint thanks to the efficient use of natural materials and following the rules for a correct use of forest resources – using wood which is programmed to be cut and replanted.
4. Scotch naturals nail care – this is a brand after my own heart. Vegan, cruelty free, toxin free nail polish that comes in all my favorite colors, and soy nail polish remover which probably doesn’t have that funky acetone smell.
5. Edun printed silk-twill jumpsuit – hand crafted by Kenyan artists, the jumpsuit is just one of the many pieces in Edun’s collection, It’s also the brainchild of Bono and Ali Hewson. Edun’s goal is to develop trade with Africa and encourage others to do the same.
6. Hash and Cheze coasters and earrings – these adorable, futuristic earrings are lazer cut out of found wood and hand painted in fun colors. The coasters come in a set of four, representing 4 different breeds of beetles.